Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Day Off

I'm coming out of the equivalent of an all-night study session that lasted more than six weeks. I just overcame two major obstacles to my freedom from grad school, well, from school in general (I've only been a college student for 10 years). I have a lot of work to do before I finish at the end of next month but I took a much needed break today and went biking with a friend of mine, and Erin's dog, Kaya.

I lost 20 pounds during the spring and summer and in my basement banishment have just about ten back on. I was riding so strong early in the summer that I actually enjoyed going up the hills as much as going down. Well. . . not quite. So this ride that I somehow convienced myself was a quick up and down ending up being 13-14 miles up a mountain and 3 miles down. I'm not in shape. I ended up having one of those legendary migranes (that's what I call them anyway) that I can't remember having for quite a while during the ride and thought I was going to throw up during the last 45 minutes of it. The ride that I imagined taking a couple of hours ended up being 31/2. Instead of writing a cover letter and preparing a resume with the rest of my day I slept, the only consolation was that Kaya was as pooped as I was.

This was another day, we had just got back from jogging in 90+ temps (dumb, I know)


I felt better in time to go to one of Erin's freshman sexual violence presentations. I know she doesn't like to hear it but I'm so impressed with her ability to tackle challanging tasks and go home and live a (relatively) normal life. There were 400 freshman in this room for a mandatory presentation and Erin had organized a program that approached a number of touchy subjects in a way that got all of their attention, and set a mood that made them respectful!

Anyway, sorry if I'm going on. I feel like someone hit the pressure relief valve and I gassing off. You all know how much I enjoy that (I'm thinking of a cabin in the sawtooth mountains).



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does that window symbolize "the light at the end of the tunnel"? You WILL get there. It takes enormous self-discipline to write and write - - -and think and write some more - -much more discipline than doing an active job, or going to class. It all comes from you. I'm proud of you for doing it - - -What may be the longest master's in history! :)

Good for Erin. She has lots of talent - - and compassion, etc. etc. A neat person - - -with a neat dog!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are sticking with it Joel. This too shall pass. I had those feelings when waiting to get finished with active duty in the Army and when my Master's thesis was finally done. We were studying Freud in those days, and decided graduation was a bowel relief. However, in the world of professionals the learning never stops if you want to maintain competency in your field. Learning should be fun. Sometimes it is. I love you and am very proud of you. Dad

Jess said...

Hey Joel,

It sounds like you are one busy guy!

That's exciting that you have done so much. Good luck with everything now and in the future. You will do great!

Paul and Joni said...

that was your day off? I remember biking a mile and dry heaving at the end the last time I went. Try being lazy next time.

Anonymous said...

Erin's dog looks like it's a cool dog, no pun intended!
Come visit.

Anonymous said...

Okay Joel...we look forward to a good belly laugh evey couple of days...where are you?!!!