Thursday, September 21, 2006

Being OK with myself

I want to go along with something Paul wrote a few days ago. It was the difference between the way we think we look and the way we actually look. Going back to see what kind of comment's people left on my own blog, I was repeatedly horrified to see my own image on the screen (I know, it wasn't the most flattering picture, read on), and to be honest I was already concocting the next blog that would push that picture down the page and out of my sight. But that got me thinking, why don't I just embrace my worst? That way when I see myself in a picture that actually looks like . . . well . . .me, I can be satisfied with the fact that no, I don't look like a sex-symbol like the picture in my mind (of my macho self, not Brad Pitt). So here goes my liberation from my ugliness.



Yeah, that was bad but could have been worse, BELIEVE ME. I wanted Erin to take a picture of me in the least flattering pose I could make (its a wonder I haven't been dumped yet) but I forgot. I figured double chin and chubby belly and love handles squeezed into tight biking cloths is hard to beat. The only drawback that I can see is that the helmet sort of hides my receding hairline, I'll do better in the future. I challenge anyone who is up to it to post the least flattering picture of themselves that they can find or create. No offense but I've seen some of a few of you (ahem! Joni and Paul faces, speedoey Glen, reflections of passing airplanes on Steve's head, the list goes on). Join me in liberating ourselves from a distorted perspective on our self-image of sexiness! I'm hoping in the end it will turn me into a self-actualized, sexy man, without the need for any illusions.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have the most least flattering picture ever- where can i post it -i want to be liberated! :-)
SS

Anonymous said...

OK, so why am I the last to know about Jub selling out to the blogger gurus?

I'm looking through Pablo's rants and notice that he has finally figured out how to link to other blogs on the side and see an entry for "Larry"?

I feel so disowned.

ANyway...moving on. Unflattering pictures of myself are easy to come bye. If someone ever finds a good one, let me know and I'll put it up just to scare folks into thinking I'm normal.

Anonymous said...

It appears I need to buy a by instead of a bye.

Bye!!

Joel said...

Good point Sarah, I had thought about that. For those who don't have the amazing ability to humiliate themselves for all the world to see, you can send me your worst. I will have a special entry in the interests of mass liberation. It will be earth-shattering

Steve the pretty one? I won't go there princess of pinkness. I tried to send the link to those whose emails were in my hotmail. I recently had to switch from my old email and didn't realize (though I expected) that a lot of the addresses I had were probably out-dated

Anonymous said...

I don't think there are any embarrassing pictures that you haven't seen of me. If there is, Kendi usually posts it. Even if I had some, I'd think twice giving some red meat to the Moore boys. I know I'll be hearing about that Speedo picture until the day I die... maybe longer.

Anonymous said...

You ARE a brave boy, Joel - - -first to post what you THINK is ugly (the shot on the toilet is probably better, in my mind!), and then to ask for everyone's ugliest. Do you know what you're asking? I think you'll get flooded, 'cause we all think pictures of us are ugly - - -for the reason you suggested: We're all pretty cute in our inner mind's eye! I still think I'm young and unwrinkly - - -till I see a photo or pass a mirror! Reality is so darn tough!! And then once in while, I have to use the close-up mirror, to pluck out one of those dratted "over 50" chin hairs, and my mind can hardly handle it! "I'm still kinda' cute INSIDE, aren't I?" I ask myself, as I try to recover from the shock and restore an iota of self-confidence! Oh well, it could be worse - - -at least no one (to my knowledge) calls me "fat grandma" yet! :)

Anonymous said...

P. S. What is the deal with the toilet, anyway?

Joel said...

If we can't laugh at ourselves we are in big trouble.

I think you are still a damn fine lookin woman, bly, in a non-creepy-oedipus-free sort of way.

What do you mean what's the deal with the toilet? Don't you have one in your computer room?

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I knew I wasn't much of a decorator - - -but apparently the toilet in the computer room was a major faux pas oversight on my part! Sorrreeeeeeee! So, is there an answer to my question?

Anonymous said...

I guess your blog was boring Joel and your mom didn't read it but just looked at the pictures!

Joel said...

I was trying to avoid having to explain this. The title of the entry with the picture right under it is supposed to convey the idea that I'm so busy writing that I don't stop for ANYTHING.

Anonymous said...

I will have to accept your challenge. I have some great looking pictures of myself also. I wish I had a scanner and I could go to town with sharing. I will have to look through what we have on our computer. I really am the worst picture taker out there. I know Paul doesn't believe in this but I truly take the most awful pictures, but like Paul said "maybe it's really the way I look."