Monday, October 16, 2006

October 16th

Yes, this picture is from today. I feel like an idiot taking timer pictures of myself, but that hasn't stopped me before. I thought it was cool that the first snow of the year (that stuck on the ground) was on my birthday. Mom made the long trip up to Bozeman, just staying overnight on Saturday. I don't know how good I am at doing the tour guide thing but I had a good time with her, as always, and that's not just because she spent money on me. Thanks for everything Mom! The jacket I'm wearing was her "main" b-day present, we picked it out at this outdoor store that I would choose as my 5-minute shopping spree location. I already know that Paul would choose Wal-Mart for his. HA! (One time I asked Paul what would be the very first thing he would do if he won $100 million. I was thinking "Drop everything and go straight to the airport for a vacation", Paul said "I'd go across the street to Wal-Mart." When I laughed he said "What? You can get pretty much anything there".) Wow, that was a long parenthetic statement. Where would you guys take a 5-minute shopping spree? I feel like a kindergarten teacher; "Now kids, tell me about your happy place".
I like this picture for many reasons. I like the colors and think Erin looks cute (as always, of course). But I really like it because these flowers were for me! It wasn't even for my birthday. I think I was just having a rough day in general with editing and getting a thesis draft to John. Erin brought over these flowers, two pints of Hagen-Daas ice creeeaam (no wonder I'm getting chubby again), and an english grammer book (to borrow, not keep). Erin treats me pretty good sometimes, I've never had flowers before.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The girls love looking at the snow...we hope it stays with you!!!
We're glad Erin takes such good care of you...that's great!!
Have a happy day.
We love you

Anonymous said...

OK, so don't take this the wrong way Erin, it’s a very nice picture of you, but seeing your head pop up behind the flowers like that reminds me of the wack-a-mole game at the chuck-e-cheese place. So in honor of wack-a-mole, I suggest the even more fun (though slightly less known) birthday game “wack-a-Joel”. So any blunt object will do…give him a good wack…for all of us.

Paul and Joni said...

Joni still gives me crap about the Wal-Mart thing. I guess I am too practical sometimes. I seriously don't think I could leave my job and just go somewhere even if I won all that money. Maybe if I actually won that much money it would be different. I think about what I would do if I won a lot of money a lot. I think I would really want to get everyone something cool, REALLY cool, and maybe a sweet cabin somewhere that we could all share. I sound like tiny Tim... "God bless us everyone" Lets keep the streak alive of the Broncs winning on our B-day weeks. Happy birthday

Joel said...

Yeah, I think eventually I would like to do something work-like with my time. But could you imagine sitting at Lowe's with $100 million in your pocket? I could handle it for about 15 minutes.

I'm going to play a little whack-a-steve next time I see him, that will almost be as good as winning the lottery

Anonymous said...

Snow! Looks like I left Bozeman just in time! Sure was fun while I was there, Joel. You're an awesome tour guide. I especially liked the hike to Grotto Falls! Thanks much!
We haven't had snow here yet, which is surprising, but lots of rain, and considerable snow in Island Park.

Cute picture of Erin, also. What a nice person she is! I don't think I ever gave a man flowers, unless he was ill,(. . . no, I'm not going there! - lol) and she shows up with them just be give you a break from the doldrums. Pretty great, I'd say.

Anonymous said...

P. S. - --and playing in the toy store was great, too! I shoulda' bought the duck! :)

Paul and Joni said...

you're right, i'd quit my job.

Anonymous said...

Do you still have snow there Joel? Tell Erin hi!

Anonymous said...

Wow, flowers. Erin seems like a very thoughtful firl. I'd be interested in seeing one of her comedy skits. That's a really unique hobby. Do they record the shows?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, she's nice to me alright. I don't think they record the shows, I'll ask though. The one at night is for adults and gets risque, I don't know if she would be embarrassed by that. They also do a show for kids somtimes on Saturdays. Their group kind of rotates through a roster and she has been too busy lately to go to rehearsal so she's not been in rotation.

Melecia said...

Hey Joel!
Glad you had a birthday shopping spree. Did it last five minutes because that's all you could handle of shopping? Did the snow stay on the ground for a day or two? It was great to meet Erin this summer - I think of her often. Does she still have plans to come to DC? If I could go anywhere shopping with 100 grand? MMMMMM I'll be tacky - I'd buy a large RV, ask Rhett to quit his job, homeschool the kids, and travel to each of your homes, park in your driveways, and eat out of your fridge. Keep studying!
Love,
Melecia

Anonymous said...

Time for a new blog Joel, we miss hearing from you!