Friday, July 08, 2011

Alaska Day1/2

Hi Family (and whoever else). I'm not even sure anyone pays attention to this blog anymore. I know I've been off the radar in blog land, but this seems like a good way to stay in touch while I'm gone. Not to mention it probably doesn't hurt to document some of my experiences.

The crew I'm working with left Denver at 10:30 last night (though it seems like 3 nights ago) and landed in Anchorage at 3 in the morning (5 hour flight). We got a few hours of sleep in a hotel and left for a small village named Aniak this morning. It was a beautiful flight, especially flying over the Alaska Range. We passed over several glaciers and jagged peaks, but couldn't see Denali through the clouds. Aniak is on the west side of the Alaska Range and is lower in elevation, next to the slow, meandering Kuskokwim River (one of the larger rivers in Alaska). There are some mountains nearby, which we flew really close to on the way to the mining camp where we'll be staying and working near during the next two weeks or so.

The first photo below is leaving Aniak on a Cessna 206. You can see the Kuskokwim River and the mountains that are shown in the next photo. I forgot the name of the range (it's a smaller one). The third photo is of the landing strip at camp, which sits on the hill at the top of the landing strip. The forth photo is my temporary digs (mine is the one with the open door). It's a little rustic but the camp as all the amenities (for example, I'm posting this from my tent via wifi).

Well, that's about all I feel like typing for tonight. For all the family at the reunion, I love you and wish I could have been there to see you all. And of course I love and miss you, Erin. I'm sure you'll all go on fine without me!

9 comments:

Erin said...

Yay, the blog is back! The pictures are amazing, keep 'em coming. I still can't believe we can skype while you're in a tent in Alaska. And don't say we'll go on fine without you...that sounds morbid. :) I love you and miss you too!! Kaya says woof and she wishes I got up as early on weekends as you do.
Love,
me

Unknown said...

Is it tougher in Alaska or what? And do you have enough underwear?

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Very cool! We look forward to hearing all about your adventures there in Alaska!

Susan

Meghan said...

OMGdoubleHKP i can`t believe you bloged

Meghan said...

OMGdoubleHKP i can`t believe you bloged

Maude said...

I'm SOOO glad you decided to take up the blog again - - -a terrific way to keep us up-to-date. Sounds like you're having a super time. You were much missed at the family reunion. I wouldn't let a "family shot" be taken because Joel and Erin weren't there. Darn, we missed you! You're in our thoughts. Take care. And Yippee for Joel's Every Now and Then Blog!!!

Love you!
Mom

Moore Family said...

We missed you guys at the family reunion but it looks like you're having some fun on your own. Great pictures. I'd really like to take a fishing/boating trip to Alaska in the not-so-distant future.

Don't forget to bring your bear spray.

Glen

Joel said...

Thanks for the comments everybody. I do have enough underwear. I'm really busy as I'm carrying on projects that I started before coming up here (not easy). I've only seen 1 bear with cubs and one moose mama from the helicopter, which was exciting but not particularly dangerous.

Glen, I'd love to take a fishing trip up here, too. Where I am the mosquitoes are more dangerous than the bears. Talk to you soon, guys. Hopefully I'll be able to aqueeze out a couple more blogs.

Woof, Kaya.

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

It's nice to see you back on the blog again. I'm a little late picking up your message. Alaska looks beautiful. Now you can say you have been to both poles with your adventuresome life. Does that mean you are "bi-polar.: Har Har! Take care, be safe, and come home soon.

Love, Dad