Friday, December 10, 2010

First Gingerbread House

I wanted to post some of the photos of my first gingerbread house attempt. Mom provided a lot of consultation help so I thought the least I could do is let her see how things turned out.


I didn't think about the fact that the roof needed to sit on angled walls until all the gingerbread was done. I broke the front while cutting the triangular top. Erin's sister, Aliesha, came over to help and witness the madness. It was nice to have some extra hands.


I ALSO put the walls together wrong so the shape of the roof was all wrong. Some retrofitting was necessary. Kaya was close by and very interested throughout the whole project.


Decorations were strategically located to cover up patching and retrofitting. I love the roof icing, you can't even tell that I screwed up!


We decorated gingerbread cookies, too. Three types of frosting!!! That is our fancy new pre-lit fake tree. It makes our house look awesome and Christmasy. The whole thing made me feel pretty domestic but at the same time figuring out how to salvage the situation to make the house look somewhat normal was challenging and fun. I'm planning to do one again next year. Hopefully having learned from some of my mistakes. I can't believe how awesome Mom's gingerbread houses were. This was a ton of work and wasn't even in the same class as Mom's creations!

8 comments:

Maude said...

It looks ABSOLUTELY awesome, Joel. You did well, for sure, and next year will be 5 times easier, because you know the do's and don'ts. Your White Mountain Frosting looks perfect, too! You get a blue ribbon in my book. I'm proud of you!

I love the intensity on your face in that third photo. Now that's concentration! I think you caught a little of my Christmas Elf thing.

Love you lots.
Mom b

Paul and Joni said...

way to go man, better than what I could do.

Paul

Kendi said...

What were you even complaining about? That's awesome!

Moore Family said...

Well done Ms. Stewart! You should have worn your Christmas sweater while you did your gingerbread house.

Glen

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

You did such a great job on that house!! You can't see any mistakes at all. I'm so impressed! The cookies are aweseome too. I love the tree! Your house looks very festive!

love ya,
Susan

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Way to go Joel! It looks great. Don't let Glen's teasing get to you. Martha couldn't do as well. Did your doggie get to have a sample?

Others should know how well you performed in the Colorado Chorale's annual Christmas concert. You are doing some great traditions for Christmas and we think you are pretty terrific.

Love, Dad

steve said...

Since all of these people are sucking up with their comments...I'll go ahead and give you the truth.

The early pictures and description had me laughing at you, but I gotta say, you pulled together a nice recovery. ;)

Don't worry, if you are anything like me, you'll forget all the stuff you learned this year by next year and have to fix a whole new batch of mistakes.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I liked this little glimpse into your Christmas holidays! Having Kaya there witnessing the whole thing and Alicia helping was also great! Nice job Joel!

Melecia