Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Job Offers

Things seem to be falling into place . . . finally. After the thesis approval my next big stress has been finding work in Bozeman. I've been combing through want ads for a while and last week interviewed with a couple of potential employers. One seemed like a great fit but couldn't promise that the work would be available beyond a three month project, and couldn't offer to take me on as a salaried employee. They offered me the position last week. I've been buying time with them while I wait to hear from another possibility that is more stable, and offers benefits, etc. I was offered the more permanent job this morning and I'm planning to take it. It will be a lot of work as I'll have to learn a number of new skills, but I'm excited about it because the company seems to be growing, and there is opportunity for advancement (non-existent in academia without a PhD). Anyway, thought I would share the good news.

14 comments:

Maude said...

Hallelujah! That's awesome news, Joel. You've certainly paid your dues and deserve the fruits of your labors now. The job sounds rewarding, challenging, and exiting - - and salary and benefits, too? Yes!! Good for you. I'm so happy for you, and proud of you - -but not surprised at your accomplishments! (And I'm glad the old Pathfinder held together through it all!) Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations buddy! That sounds like a good move for you. Your lucky to be back in the bozone. I hope which ever one you take that you like it. Good luck man.
Ryan

Paul and Joni said...

Congrats man, tell us more about it, in Bozeman, company name? How many people do you work with? what are you going to be doing exactly? Thats really cool that you can stay in B town if thats where it is

Joel said...

Well it's not the real b-town, if you know what I mean. The place is Morrison-Maierle, they are an engineering firm with environmental services offices in Bozeman and Missoula. They have engineering offices in all the big towns of Montana, plus Phoenix, Salt Lake, and somewhere else? I'll make the 4th person in the Bozeman office, though there are dozens of engineers in other parts of the Bozeman office. They are actually building a new office building that will open next year. I'm going to be mapping wetlands for construction permitting, planning mitigated wetlands, and maybe other stuff (I guess I'll know soon enough).

Paul and Joni said...

Thats pretty cool, I bet you'll have an equal amount of time indoors and outdoors

Anonymous said...

Sounds cool. Many congrats! It sounds like you are getting into my neck of the woods a bit. We deal a lot with civil, geotechnical, and environmental engineers for a number of projects. Don't let those nutty engineer types get to ya. *wink*

Anonymous said...

Joel -
We're so glad things are falling into place for you! You really deserve it, and now you can channel that brain power into making the world a better place!
Love,
Melecia

Joel said...

My supervisors name is Steve, I don't know how he feels about dolphins yet.

Anonymous said...

What a relief to see you enter a new phase of your life! Good preparation for running for President. Love, Your Manager

Anonymous said...

Whats all this about dolphins?

We need to have a chat in my office.

Anonymous said...

Hey!! Leave me out of your rants. What next cavemen?

Paul and Joni said...

was that Erin coming out of her hole? Or just Steve off his meds, funny stuff.

Joel said...

I don't know. I'm very confused. The only one I'm sure about is that Dad was "the manager". I don't think it was Erin.

Maude said...

Holy Cow! I have no idea what any of you are talking about. Did I miss something really important along the way?