Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Just an Update

Hi everyone and Happy Thanksgiving.

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update. I'm still busy chipping away at the enormous task of finishing this %$*&@ thesis. I had hoped to get things done yesterday in order to meet a deadline of November 27th to have everything approved and turned into the College of Graduate Studies. It is looking less likely that I will make that deadline with every minute that passes by with me not being finished, but I will probably take a 1 credit extension that will give me until January 14th to have things wrapped up. I would have preffered that this didn't happen because I have been off payroll for a couple months now, and would really like to move on with my life.

That brings me to my next update. I've accepted a temporary (~4 months) job with my old advisor at USU, Wayne Wurtsbaugh. He needs someone to finish some work up on a project he had funded last spring on the Great Salt Lake. It is a great project and I had a good experience working with him as an undergrad, and I think a positive work experience would be good for me right now. This means that I'll be moving to Logan on Monday (yeah, that's soon). I'm excited to earn money again, I will have to keep pushing myself to work on my thesis but I think I'm close enough that I should be able to stay motivated by the idea of wrapping it up. I'm not excited to leave Erin in Bozeman for these coming months, but she has a good job and some promising opportunities with school. I/we will be sure to make frequent trips between Utah and Montana, and I have a calm and reasuring feeling that this minor blip of separation will be challanging but no big deal in the grand scheme of things. I am quite committed to holding on to a very, very, good thing in my life. I'll be excited to be closer to Glen and Kendi and to see what this new adventure brings.

Love you all, Joel

7 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

Thats cool man, but stinky since we aren't in Logan anymore. I can just tell by the way you write how much that thesis is draining you. Hopefully you have a good experience there. I made sure to ask both of my graduate school prospects if a thesis is involved...and thankfully there isn't. After all is said and done you should write a letter to the school about your bonehead professor guy...or just tp his house.

Maude said...

We're cheering for you, Joel - - -but you know that. We know this has been a tremendous test for you in many ways, but good things have also come from you being in Bozeman - - -like Erin! A "breath of fresh air" career-wise should do much to re-energize you. Hang in there, and get the darn thing off your shoulders. Love you lots.

Anonymous said...

I can speak on behalf of Glen, WE ARE SO EXCITED TO have you closer. This is going to be so much fun. You can be our weekend babysitter! Just kidding, but we definitely love having family closer.
Come down on the weekends and we will cook and baby you until you get that thesis done and let Erin know the door is always open for her to stay also.
YEAH YEAH YEAh!
have a good Thanksgiving all!

Melecia said...

Hi Joel - Does this mean your moving closer to us or farther away? Well, I'll just say it will be great to have you closer to us. Stop in anytime! Seriously, you are AWESOME and I know great things are ahead for you in your life. You will finish that thesis, and this Utah State job sounds really great. You deserve every good thing! Rhett & I remember the long distance relationship. It can be sweet.
Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone. This is more of an update/post than a comment on Joel's, it would be weird to tell Joel to read his blog comments rather than just talk to him.

Really I just wanted to say that my birthday's in 14 hours (officially) -- the big 2-9. I love my birthday, and I usually start announcing it about a month out -- not a hint, no gifts are necessary. Just cash is fine.

Besides that, I have 3 papers due on Monday that I was going to have done before tomorrow, but so far, I have not a word written. It's cold and snowy here, I'm sure that's somehow relevant to my procrastination.

Oh, I will be in NY for the holidays so I will miss you seeing you all next month. I'm sad about that. And that I didn't get to meet Mike and Susan this weekend. But I'm excited to see Glen and Kendi more often, and Blythe and Jim when I stop in Ashton on the way to Logan every weekend for dinner. (just kidding, you don't have to feed me.) I'm exited for Joel and his new job, and only sometimes get whiny about being apart. Joel says it'll be OK and he's usually right. Kaya and I are ready for some road trips in the Subi.

I'm babbling, still in turkey coma. I hope you're all well.
Love,
Erin

Anonymous said...

It was nice to have that long talk with you Joel and to see that you are following through with your plan. It takes a lot of courage to confront the demons and to make a move forward that will strengthen you and your future decisions. We'd like to stop by in Logan, or see you in Idaho when we come over for Tyler's wedding the last week of December. Keep in touch. You'll continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone. This is more of an update/post than a comment on Joel's, it would be weird to tell Joel to read his blog comments rather than just talk to him.

Really I just wanted to say that my birthday's in 14 hours (officially) -- the big 2-9. I love my birthday, and I usually start announcing it about a month out -- not a hint, no gifts are necessary. Just cash is fine.

Besides that, I have 3 papers due on Monday that I was going to have done before tomorrow, but so far, I have not a word written. It's cold and snowy here, I'm sure that's somehow relevant to my procrastination.

Oh, I will be in NY for the holidays so I will miss you seeing you all next month. I'm sad about that. And that I didn't get to meet Mike and Susan this weekend. But I'm excited to see Glen and Kendi more often, and Blythe and Jim when I stop in Ashton on the way to Logan every weekend for dinner. (just kidding, you don't have to feed me.) I'm exited for Joel and his new job, and only sometimes get whiny about being apart. Joel says it'll be OK and he's usually right. Kaya and I are ready for some road trips in the Subi.

I'm babbling, still in turkey coma. I hope you're all well.
Love,
Erin