Sunday, September 20, 2009

4-day weekends, hit-and-runs, and meat boxes

It's been a pretty eventful past 2-3 weeks, as many of you know. I started a temporary, part-time job at the Denver Metro Wastewater Treatment District (sewage treatment plant) this week, just a week and a half after arriving in Denver. I'm helping out with their annual fish sampling in the South Platte River and am basically a grunt doing whatever else needs to be done. They are responsible for monitoring chemical and biological conditions in the river as part of their effluent discharge permit. The positives of the job are that I have work and money coming in, I enjoy the chance to work mostly outside for a bit, the work is in line with my education and experience, and the people I work with seem great so far. I think its tough to be working in a position that I'm way overqualified for and also don't love how you don't really feel a "part of something" as a temporary employee, but I'm happy that I was able to line something up so soon after getting to Denver as an unemployed person (now I'm just under-employed).

Erin felt fully initiated into urban living a couple of weeks ago when our little Ford Focus was side-swiped in a hit-and-run while she was at the art museum. Fortunately, someone saw the whole thing happen, got the driver's license plate number, and called the police. We let our insurance company know what happened and the Denver Police (last we heard) are tracking down the driver. We're hoping for the best. After my hit-and-run experience in Bozeman I don't have a lot of faith that this is going to turn out well for us. I know, I should be more positive, but I feel like I've been down this road before.

In more exciting news. We are the proud new owners of a large box or meat. We were visited by a door-to-door meat salesman on Friday evening and he left us with 4 new york steaks, 4 Kansas City steaks, 8 fillet mignons, 8 bacon-wrapped tenderloins, and 24 patties of chopped beef. We declined the box-o-pork due to limited freezer space (we're not suckers). Looks like it will be a steak night tonight (and tomorrow. . .). We'll have to start jogging a little more I think. Or there's always Statin.

8 comments:

Paul and Joni said...

I had no idea you were working, thats fun to be working part time for a while. I also heard about your box of meat and yes, you guys are suckers. I can't remember the last time a meat salesman came to my door.

Seems like a license plate number is all the police would need to track someone down, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they were incapable of doing that.

Maude said...

Glad you're getting settled - - but practice saying the words, "No thank you" when salespeople come to your door.

I hope they find the hit and run person - -and that the person is gainfully employed so they will take responsibility for the car. You wonder why anyone would do a thing like that, don't you? Hmmm - - -maybe they were rushing off to the hospital because a baby was do - - -or something. We'll hope for the best.

Love you.

Mom

Erin said...

Yes, hopefully the police will find them. Their status as far as insurance and being able to get our car fixed is the question.

I also need to learn to say no to people approaching me for money at gas stations. I have yet to get gas at the place near our house without someone asking me for gas money. And I have yet to say no. Ugh, I'm such a country bumpkin!

I'm glad Joel wrote an update. We are slowly getting settled and although neither of us are experiencing a ton of job satisfaction at the moment, I think it's safe to say we both really like being in Denver. Go Broncos (and Rockies and Nuggets and Avs...)!

Love,
Erin

Moore Family said...

To be honest, I was surprised to hear you found work so quickly. Yeah it's below your skill set, but it's nice to have something to help pay the bills until you find something more to your liking, you know?

About twice a year, we have inner city kids from out of state knock our door to sell $140 magazine subscriptions. It's hard to turn them down. I'm sure they make a killing because they have a great pitch, saying how they're trying to turn their life around and come legit.

Seems like we run in to a lot of people asking for money too, especially downtown by temple square. Carter gets upset if we pass one of them by without giving some money. I try to explain that they have a place to stay and food to eat if they want, but it's hard to explain to a 6 year old.

Glen

Anonymous said...

Yes, we've bought the meat too, and the freezer that came with the meat. It was good meat, and yes, we're suckers.
Sorry about Erin's hit and run - hope they do find the person that did it, and that your car can be fixed all the way!
I hope your job turns into a full time employed position, but happy that you are working. I hope we get to visit you in your new urban digs sometime!

Love,
Melecia

Erin said...

Glen -- don't buy the magazines! I found out at a training last week that those kids are likely being exploited and forced to do that...basically kidnapped. Don't do it!
Erin

Moore Family said...

Yeeez! I didn't know that. That's a shame. You want to help people out, but it's tough to know what the motivation is. Maybe giving food is the safest best.

Glen

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Welcome to downtown Denver! It was fun riding with you on the light rail to the Rockies game in the light rain. Too bad they lost, but they did get to the playoffs. I'm afraid Philadelphia will kill them. How about those Broncos? 4-0 is a pleasant surprise and I'm getting back to the old Bronco mania again. It's great to have you near and to be able to celebrate our birthdays together. We love you.

Dad