Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Camera Recovery

Hi, everybody. I finally found a cord that I could use to download photos from my camera. Thought I would share one or two.


Erin, Kaya, and I went fishing on the Madison River over a month ago. I was really jonesing to go and managed to drag Erin away from her homework long enought to join me. After driving about 45 minutes we got out of the car and stepped into a frickin' tornado. For those of you who have gone fly-fishing, you know that this is about the time that you turn the car around and go watch a movie or something.

Well, I was pretty exited to go and wanted Erin to get a feel for what it's all about; so we suited up and waded into the river. The picture with Kaya is pretty deceiving; she was nothing close to well-behaved. I swear she knew where I was going to cast before I did. Time and again she would barrel into the river right to where I was headed. It was OK because the whole thing was an exercise in futility from the outset, but I might hesitate before taking her with me when I'm serious about catching fish.

The highlight was watching Kaya trying to get to the opposite shore in places where it got deep. She loves the water but hates swimming in it. She would get close enough to the shore to taste it, but would get swept back just before getting there. She would look back at us frantically and then struggle to the banks. It was really funny. I'm excited about the winter but not a huge fan of working during the few hours of daylight.


How’s that for 16 words, Mom?

9 comments:

Maude said...

Awesome, Joel!!! Yippee. Thank you very much. Looks a bit chilly, but lots of fun, especially with Kaya along to keep you awake and on your toes. The Madison River area is one of Jim's favorite fishing spots, especially up near the West entrance to Yellowstone.

Love you.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Go Erin! Hopefully you enjoyed the experience even if you guys didn't catch a lot of fish. That's nice that you can fish together. I prefer to fish with someone else because I had a close call when I was fishing alone - I slipped and filled my waders with 200lbs of water, pulling me under. I guess I could fish in shallow waters.

With Carter, I've temporarily switched from fly to bait fishing but when he gets older, I'd like to go back to fly fishing. Carter has his own rod and reel now, and I've purchased a license the last few years. We go maybe 4-5 times a year and don't catch a lot of fish. Even so, it's nice to spend time with Carter and enjoy the outdoors - even if it's sometimes a city pond. :)

Joel said...

Glen-
I remember you filling up your waders when you were fishing with me once. Is it a regular occurance? You should come up to Montana and fish with us.

Paul and Joni said...

I wonder if Kaya was smart enough to know to go after fish where you were casting or if she was following the fly...or just being a dumb dog. Animals can be pretty funny sometimes, especially when we can see human like expressions on thier face.

Anonymous said...

Joel - Blacksmith Fork... how could I forget. I think I was enjoying the scenery a little too much and that silt was like quick sand. Good thing I had someone to pull me out. I'm not talking about that time though. It happened another time where I slipped and the current took me all the way under and downstream. It took all the energy I had to get out. I REALLY need some new waders.

Paul and Joni said...

Glen is starting to sound alarmingly like another guy I know that enjoys the scenery and finds himself in bad situations. All you have to do is say "for cryin out loud" next time.

Anonymous said...

Very funny. I'm sure that I've picked up some things from Dad, but I'm not the only one.

Joel said...

I remember your eyes getting really big and then you sitting on the bank in your underwear because your jeans were soaked. Your other experience sounds freaky. You should get one of those CO2 inflatable vests that Jim has.

Anonymous said...

ERIN YOU LOOK LIKE A NATURAL! MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK. WHAT PRETTY COUNTRY AND A BEAUTIFUL DAY! SOMETIMES i REALLY MISS THE WEST.
lOVE,
MELECIA