Thursday, February 22, 2007

Back by Popular Demand

Hey everyone. I decided to give a little update since I haven't done this for a little while. I've been busy and then bored in the month and a half since I wrote last, but just didn't have much interest in blogging (for whatever reason). I've enjoyed reading about what you guys are doing, so I figured at least an update every now and then is pretty painless. Sorry if this is newsletterish.

Last weekend Erin flew in to Salt Lake and met up with me and a couple of her friends from college to visit and ski. It was the first time that I met them, and as with most of Erin's friends I felt like we had been friends for a long time after I just met them. I think that is more about them though. I laughed as we were leaving Glen and Kendi's (see Kendi's "Porker" photo) because it seemed like Glen and Kendi hit it off as quickly as I did. We met up with Glen later that night at the Market Street Grill but I think Kendi couldn't find anyone to take care of the kids (?). It was a short but great visit with them. I really do enjoy being around them and the kids, it makes me wish we were all closer because I love being around everyone in the family. Such is life, huh?

We skied at Alta, which was nice though bittersweet when it was dumped on the day after we skied there. The last time Erin skied she had a serious break in her leg. She was really nervous to get back on the slopes after (more than 5?) years but was really great. She has some obvious ability but it was easy to tell when uncertainty creeped in, it seriously changed her ability level. I think we all have things that we can do better than our minds allow us sometimes. Erin's friends took pictures that I'll try to post when/if I get them. The weather was perfect. All in all it was a great/busy weekend, I had a blast but would have liked to relax a bit more and see a little more of the Salt Lake Moore family.

I'm trying to find out from my boss here at USU when exactly the funding for my salary will run out, I think it will be soon, maybe a month (?). So I'm looking for jobs and will start spreading my resumes around. I'm focusing on a few places in the Rocky Mountain region, though Erin's school and work may mean that Bozeman is the most likely place that I'll land in the near future. I'm good with that, I really love a lot of things about Bozeman and am getting over the few negative connections in my mind.

I'll write more soon, I'm happy and healthy and looking forward to the longer day lengths that let me get outside a little more. Maybe I'll put finding a non-basement living situation on my list of things to do. Oh yeah, that reminds me. Things are progressing with my thesis. It hasn't been a big stressor for me and I'm hoping that I can chip away at what remains to be done without making it a big stressor. Lata!

6 comments:

Maude said...

Yippee! A Joel update! He is alive and well and hasn't turned into the "Basement Hermit" after all. Thanks, Joel.

We're thrilled the thesis is almost at an end. What a relief that will be for you. I'm glad it's no longer a source of stress.

Your weekend sounds really FUN. Good for Erin for climbing on those skis again. That takes courage after a painful experience like she had. Hooray for Erin! She's pretty special - -but you already know that.

Love ya'.

Lisa Fasolo Frishman said...

I feel so special that we made the blog!!! We, meaning me, Lisa and my husband Aaron - two of E's dear friends from Hobart and William Smith. We loved Salt Lake - loved the skiing, LOVED Joel and his family, and cannot wait to do it again.
Pics are coming....I am a little swamped right now, but I will get on it - promise.

Lisa

Moore fun in Colorado! said...

Glad to see you back on the blog!

Sounds like a great ski weekend and fun with friends and family.

Living in the basement can't be too much fun. Good luck finding a better place and good luck finishing the thesis and getting a new job. Sounds busy, but you'll do great!!

love ya,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Joel - Wish I could have skiied with you! That must have made Erin have some flashbacks to get back on those skiis! That's the best that Erin has such great friends that will fly down to be with you and ski! Love you!
-Melecia

Anonymous said...

So what did everyone think of Alta? I should have kept my mouth shut and refrained from saying that it's a challenging place to ski. I'm proud of Erin for staring fear in face. Next time, I'll go with you and bring my aspirin.

Nice to see you guys. Let me know when there is a weekend game up in Logan. I'd like to come up before the season in over.

Glen

Anonymous said...

It was good to see you Joel. Even though I had just got rid of a bunch of kids and my house was a complete disaster it was good to have you all come and visit and make me calm down a bit. It was also very nice to see Erin. She can lighten any situation up. She had great friends too. They were so easy to sit down and chat with. I really wish I could have made it for dinner...sounded like fun but I am sure you all enjoyed it much more without two little kids running the conversation. Come visit again soon!